On Saturday, I walked over to our mailbox to get the mail.
Everything, pretty much the same as usual.
But one thing stood out. One cute looking envelope that got my heart nervously palpitating. It was sent by good friends of ours. Inside... an invitation for their baby shower.
Looking down at the baby blue diaper-shaped invite, I was overwhelmed by several emotions. Sad, happy, cheated, excited... all in one. We go way back with this couple. All before marriage and our children, this couple would often be our first pick for double dates. They are good to each other, and good to everyone around them. And now, God has blessed their love with a blossoming baby boy.
There is no question to if we will or will not attend. We will be there, we feel like we SHOULD be there. I feel, however, so fortunate that our culture views baby showers rather differently than American tradition does. In the Filipino culture, baby showers are not exclusively for women. Our baby showers are celebrated with everyone that the expectant couple chooses to join them in the welcoming of their child.
I mentioned feeling fortunate because I don't think I would be able to face this alone. I'm not that brave, not yet anyways. I will be attending this shower hand in hand with my husband and three year old. I will try my best to smile amidst the looks that I will get. Looks of pity from those who know what has happened to me not too long ago. I will be there for my friends, and not portray the grief my heart endlessly goes through each day. That will be their day, their unborn baby's day. I will do my best to pull through and hold back from envy.

4 comments:
God has his hand on your heart. He will carry you through the shower and you will have a good time. *hugs*
I am praying that you find strength in God alongside your husband. The first shower I went to I saw people whispering and felt like they were talking about me. I took a deep breath and made it a point to remember that this was not about me. It was about my friend and her baby. I know it will be hard but you will get through.
I am in a similar situation. One of my best friends is having her baby shower in about 3 weeks. I wouldn't go if it were anyone else, but I really have to go for her. It's just going to be extra hard b/c she is having a girl :( At least your hubby will be there! This one is all women. Good luck to you both at the shower. It may be hard, but I pray God gives you the strength to endure it and enjoy yourselves.
xo
Ashley
You are a very good friend and I am sure they know how hard this will be for you. I hope you will find compassion from those who know of your loss at the shower. xx
Post a Comment