Beware!
I recently got scammed into this "Personal Antivirus" type of thing. Basically, I was just surfing the net when this thing popped up:
This window listed several types of trojan viruses that were corrupting my laptop. Then, it promoted their antivirus software, "Personal Antivirus," that would automatically replenish all of the infected files and continue to protect my computer for a low fee of $49.99.
I wondered why the antivirus software (Avast) on my laptop did not detect these viruses. But with the legitimate appearce of this promotion, I gave in thinking that I did not want my laptop to get destroyed. I paid with my ATM check card, and for some reason it charged $79.99. Confused, I called their customer service number and automatically knew this was some kind of scam due to their automated system that eventually hung up on me.
I did some research online regarding what this was about, and discovered that I didn't have a virus to begin with! This hacking-type of company threats people into paying them to fix absolutely nothing.
I have already contacted my bank and cancelled that card. I have also filed a claim in order to dispute the $79.99 transaction. It's going to take up to 90 days, but at least something is going to be done.
Being a trusting person can bite you in the ass sometimes.

1 comments:
This is popped up on my computer too, but I felt it wasn' right. Thanks for sharing, next time I will exit it right away!
Post a Comment