Thursday, July 30, 2009

The A-Word

Abortion.


How do you feel about it?

I've always thought to myself when abortion may or may not be acceptable. The following is solely based on my opinion, and is not meant to be offensive. If you have or have not had an abortion and feel strong about the modern rights of a woman, please do not read this post. Thank you.

__________________________


Abortion is a choice. I feel fortunate to have not ever felt the need in making such a painful, life changing decision. But I do have a personal opinion about it. This is when I feel that abortion "may" be acceptable:

  • When the fetus is a fatal harm to the mother's health
  • When the fetus is diagnosed early with a fatal health condition
  • When the fetus is a product of rape

I remember when I delivered Joshua. Just hours after, a couple of Jason's relatives had visited us in recovery. They had confessed that instead of having two children, they are really suppose to have three. They had to make the painful choice of terminating their first pregnancy because they were young and unprepared. Even though they meant well, I felt insulted with their story. In no way, I felt that their loss had even came close to mine. They chose their loss. I did not. I wanted my son with every fiber of my soul. I know they meant well, and maybe just did not know the right words to comfort my bereavement. But until this day, I still feel hurt with their far-fetched analogy.

I think it is so unfair. Unjust for people to have a casual abortion, and just pop out healthy babies when they are conveniently ready. All in the while, there are women whom never had an abortion, and lose their child or cannot even bare a child.

Our Glorious God works in such mysterious ways.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It is so hard. I don't know how I feel...
I met a mom who had lost her son. He died during childbirth- although she knew he would have some health problems and was diagnosed with having downesyndrom she was prepared to care for him.
She delivered him a week late- 10lbs- she labored- He didn't make it.
Her next pregnancy (IVF) She learned at birth that her baby had many problems including no brain at all. She made the choice to end the pregnancy- saying she just couldn't go through all that again.
At that moment I thought- I have no idea what people go through that have to make that decision. I was sad for her. Sad for her baby.
I don't really know how I feel about the A word- except sad-
sad about all loss...
:-(
Laura

Melanie said...

I feel this way, exactly. I believe the women do have a choice: sex or no sex. Even if birth control fails, no one can claim that they believed their contraception was 100% effective. Adoption is the only choice after conception because there are many couples out there with the inability to conceive that would love to adopt those unwanted babies. I am so sorry that this couple had the audacity to make such a comment, no matter their intentions.